About Me

My photo
I am a mother of one with a background in public relations and communications, and a degree in Psychology. Before becoming a mom I was very career focused and traveled across Canada working for the Canadian Forces before moving to a job with the Yukon government in order to settle down. This blog is about my transition from working bee to full-time mom and maybe back again. It's also about what it means to be a mom and a home maker.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

So I Think I Can Dance

Well, no. I don't actually think I can dance, but I'd like to learn, as part of my ongoing childhood dream. And that's why tonight, I took my first adult Jazz dance class. I'm always busting a move to keep Kaitlyn entertained so the other day I thought, why not? Then, while I was at my class, I found out that the musical Chicago will be playing at our little local theatre next Spring, auditions in December. Well if that isn't serendipity I don't know what is.

Let me take a step back and talk about that dream. Ever since I was a little girl, I have dreamed about singing on stage. Literally dreamed about being up there, a huge audience and everyone listening to me, and it always feels so good. I wake up excited and energized; I feel like this is what I was always meant to do. No stage fright in those dreams. Real life is a different story; I won't even sing karaoke. But last year while I was running for Rendezvous Queen I got up on a stage and sang a song that I had written. A capella. It was possibly the most terrifying thing I've ever done but I've also never been so proud of myself.

So now there's a musical that I'd love to be in, and I've already decided to work on my dance moves. All I have to do is convince myself to audition in December. I've taken one step towards that secret stage dream that I've held close all my life, all I have to do is tell myself that I can do it.

Robert Fulghum has a story about how, when we are children, we can do everything. When we are asked if we can dance, sing, act, draw, or climb mountains we always answer "Yes! Of course I can! Let me show you!" As adults we move to saying "Well, not really. Not professionally. Just in the shower." If nothing else, when Kaitlyn eventually asks me if I can dance, I'll be able to answer "Yes, of course! Let me show you!" and then bust out my moves like Jagger.

No comments:

Post a Comment